[Insight-developers] Adding Code/Common/itkI18nIOHelpers.h for unicode filenames

Tom Vercauteren tom.vercauteren at m4x.org
Tue Jan 12 11:14:16 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 17:01, Sean McBride <sean at rogue-research.com> wrote:
> On 1/12/10 12:51 PM, Tom Vercauteren said:
>
>>In an attempt to move a little further on the unicode filename issue
>>(http://www.itk.org/Bug/view.php?id=9623), I would like to put all the
>>helpers functions from my unit test
>>  http://www.itk.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/Testing/Code/IO/
>>itkUnicodeIOTest.cxx?root=Insight&sortby=date&view=markup
>>to one header file. I was thinking of using
>>Code/Common/itkI18nIOHelpers.h and putting the functions in the
>>itk::I18n namespace:
>>  http://www.itk.org/Bug/file_download.php?file_id=2757&type=bug
>
> Do we really want to use the cryptic "I18n" terminology?  How about
> itkUnicodeIOHelpers.h ?

I did gave it some thought. My first choice was indeed
"itkUnicodeIOHelpers.h" but then I thought that it could give the
wrong impression that Unicode will be supported on all platforms which
is not the case (e.g. cygwin < 1.7). Hence my choice of a more generic
reference to internationalization (i18n).
"itkInternationalizationIOHelpers.h" is another possibility but since
googling i18n directly leads to an exhaustive wikipedia page, I
thought i18n would be clear enough.

What do you think?

Tom