[Insight-developers] Explicit instantiation

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 15:13:00 EDT 2010

Folks,

There is quite a lengthy description and analysis of Explicit
Instantiation from 2006
http://vtk.org/Wiki/Proposals:Explicit_Instantiation

At that time, I did an analysis of the binary tree with and without explicit:

http://vtk.org/Wiki/Proposals:Explicit_Instantiation#Some_Results_for_Visual_Studio_2003

If I recall, my argument at the time was a tradeoff between space/time
and simplicity. I argued for simplicity (against explicit
instantiation). Times and compilers are different  now. Maybe my
argument for simplicity is no longer valid?

Bill