[Insight-developers] REPRODUCIBILITY: IEEE CVPR 2010, Moved to the Bright Side !!!

Torsten Rohlfing torsten at synapse.sri.com
Sun Nov 22 15:21:22 EST 2009

Luis:

Slight disagreement here again ;)

Reproducibility alone does not cure cancer. If we all simply keep
repeating and re-confirming each others results, there is no innovation.

As far as papers are concerned, I would say we need to distinguish
between "reproducible" (which is good) and "reproduction" (which, unless
the paper is concerned with something very hard to reproduce, is not).

I agree, though, that "originality" alone is also not an important
measure for a paper. Claiming that I can cure cancer by sticking a
carrot up the patient's nose and blowing in his ear is mighty original,
but hardly effective. Probably not reproducible, either.

In the end, I'd say it all comes down to "significance." Something long
known, although easily reproducible, is simply not significant.
Likewise, something very new and surprising is not significant if it
cannot be reproduced. Both novelty and reproducibility are required to
make a work of science significant.

Have a nice weekend!
   TR

On 11/21/2009 04:08 PM, Luis Ibanez wrote:
> [...]
> CVPR has done something that many other Journals
> and (so-called) Scholarly societies have not dared
> to do:
>
>   to embrace the principles of the scientific method.
>

> If you look at the review criteria for MICCAI,
> or SPIE Medical Imaging,
> http://spie.org/x14099.xml
>
> or IEEE TMI
> http://www.ieee-tmi.org/Reviewer-Info.html
>
> you will still find "Novelty" and "Originality",
> as a requirement,
>
> and not mention at all of "Reproducibility".
>

> They want "new" things,
> but don't quite care if they work or not...
>

>       Luis

> On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 3:30 PM, Torsten Rohlfing
> <torsten at synapse.sri.com>  wrote:
>
>> Hi Luis --
>>
>> I need to disagree on some of your points, unfortunately.
>>
>> However, I do not disagree at all that this is a move in the right
>> direction, and I am thrilled to see it from a conference as strong as CVPR.
>>
>> Now for my disagreements: the review will not actually become trivial just
>> because data and source code are provided. Neither answers the questions,
>> how significant and original the research is, and these are quite important
>> review criteria. All that data and code help us with is a) to ensure that
>> the current presumption of reproducibility is actually justified, and b)
>> build on others' research without having to re-code all their code first.
>>
>> Now there is one final problem here as far as the impact of data and code
>> availability on the CVPR reviews is concerned: they are not actually
>> available during the review phase. The author only states in the paper if
>> and how code and data will be released AFTER the paper has been accepted. So
>> we still have to assume as reviewers that the code does indeed function as
>> described in the paper, and we furthermore have to trust that the authors
>> will indeed make good on their promise after paper acceptance.
>>
>> I can't say that's unreasonable, though, because just like we shouldn't
>> necessarily blindly trust authors, we should certainly also not blindly
>> trust reviewers (after all, they are basically the same people). So if the
>> code were available during review, reviewers might be tempted to take it for
>> their own work, yet reject the paper, maybe even intentionally to gain an
>> advantage.
>>
>> Anyway, bottom line is, the CVPR review isn't really affected much by the
>> new criterion, but it would be nice indeed if the conference implemented a
>> reward for releasing code and data, maybe by adding a certain bonus to the
>> reviewer scores.
>>
>> Best,
>>   Torsten
>>

>>> Hi David,
>>>
>>> I agree, it will be fascinating to see how this reshapes the field.
>>>
>>> Regarding your concern, I would argue that if the paper is "really"
>>> reproducible, then the review should become trivial.
>>>
>>> It should come down to a one-hour exercise of:

>>> 2) Download the software (and potentially build it).
>>> 3) Download the scripts with parameters that run the software
>>> 4) Going for lunch