[Insight-developers] itk/gdcm build errors on Fedora 12

kent williams norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
Thu Nov 19 15:57:38 EST 2009

I know why the problem is happening, but I'm not sure how to fix it for
Arnaud.

Betweeen Fedora Core 11 and Fedora Core 12, they started using the OSSP
library for UUID management.

http://www.ossp.org/pkg/lib/uuid/

The OSSP dudes decided that it would be better if the UUID type was opaque,
which is "Good Software Engineering." If you use this library, instead of
doing this:

uuid_t g;
uuid_generate(g)

You do this:

uuid_t *g;
uuid_create(&g);

Now the unfortunate thing for Arnaud -- and any other Fedora Core 12 users
with the crazy idea they might use ITK -- is that there's a DIFFERENT uuid
API apparently that has a function with this signature:

uuid_i g;
uuid_rc_t t;
uuid_create(&g,&rv);

Which means basically if you use Fedora Core 12, or any other system that
has adopted OSSP UUID as its uuid library, you're screwed.

At any rate GDCM 1.x is never going to work with this library without some
hacking because it assumes that it can always generate a UUID and that it
will fit in a 16 byte character array.  OSSP doesn't really help out much
there -- I see no function that will give you a UUID as a 16 byte array.