[Insight-developers] Not Really Parallel Build

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohiou.edu
Thu Nov 12 10:41:48 EST 2009

On 11/12/2009 07:40 AM, Gaëtan Lehmann wrote:

> Your host was loaded by something else?

No, I was just logged in over ssh.

> The execution time should decrease with the number of threads - that's
> not always the case here.
>
> I found firefox (with ~ 20 tabs) to be quite bad for the performance for
> example!

Firefox is a bit of a memory hog, but it's nothing compared to the
memory used when ITK is tested with :

ITK_COMPUTER_MEMORY_SIZE:STRING=12

I just re-ran some of the parallel tests now that I'm in the lab and am
better able to monitor what's going on.

When CTest hit the IO tests in parallel the system used all 12 gigabytes
of memory and started swapping.

There were several IO tests running at once all of which were requiring
several gigabytes of memory.

Is there some way to make the large memory IO tests run sequentially
during parallel testing?

If not, then I'll abandon parallel testing since large image processing
is important to my work and speeding up testing is not very important to me.