[Insight-developers] Interactions between fixes checked in for ShrinkImageFilter, RecursiveMultiResolutionPyramidImageFilter, MultiResolutionPyramidImageFilter

kent williams norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
Fri Mar 27 12:03:31 EDT 2009

I'll try to make this succinct, and suggest we make a decision about it
today in TCON.

My entry into this maze was being asked to fix

A bug is a bug and deserves fixing, but this related to work being done by
my boss Hans Johnson, so we had a vested interest at Iowa to get the pyramid
filters working the way Hans thought they should work.

The fix for this bug was just to make RecursiveMulti...Filter use
ResampleImageFilter just as MultiResolution...Filter does.

But Brad Lowekamp does not like this fix, because he thinks that this
represents a possibly non-backwards-compatible change in behavior.

In further nosing around I discovered this bug report:

Which suggests that the underlying problem in the Pyramid Filters -- the
ShrinkImageFilter not preserving image centers -- was fixed.

So it looks to me like the Pyramid Filters could go back to using
ShrinkImageFilter, satisfying both Hans and Brad.

Is this the case?

And if it is the case, would Brad and Hans be willing to contribute
regression tests that exercise their idea of what constitutes correct
behavior for the Pyramid filters?