[Insight-developers] RecursiveMultiResolutionPyramidImageFilter -- questions about fixing bug 8482

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Wed Mar 25 14:31:27 EDT 2009

This was changed was for no apparent reason in ITK 3.12.

http://www.itk.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/Code/Algorithms/itkMultiResolutionPyramidImageFilter.txx?root=Insight&r1=1.26&r2=1.27&sortby=date

The previous behavior (which is how they had been working since 2004)
is the correct behavior!

For me this is VERY significant I have already waisted a significant
amount of time trying to getting better results in my registration.

I would even suggest that this should be a patch to 3.12!

Brad :(

On Mar 25, 2009, at 2:19 PM, kent williams wrote:

> So you’re saying smoother->SetUseImageSpacing(true) may be causing
> your problem?
>
> At a minimum, in order to A) support what many people consider
> ‘correct’ behavior and B) maintain backwards compatibility, it would
> be good to add a SetUseImageSpacingForSmoothing method.  That way,
> if you know you don’t want Image Spacing to affect smoothing, you
> can turn it off. As it stands now you’re stuck with it.
>

> On 3/25/09 1:14 PM, "Bradley Lowekamp" <blowekamp at mail.nih.gov> wrote:
>
>> Hrmm this is interesting!!!
>>
>> I am currently running slice to slice registration on  scanning
>> electron microscopy data. This data is very noise compared to most
>> medical imaging. This Image spacing parameter could significantly
>> change registration! it has been running poorly recently and this
>> may in fact be the cause. I will have to run things to determine if
>> this is the cause... But a change like this would be very
>> significant to my code :(
>>
>> Also I don't see any way that the user could set a parameter to
>> change this too!  If you had an image will large spacing it would
>> in effect NOT apply a smoothing filter.
>>
>> If I am understanding this correctly I would think it is a bug!
>>
>> Brad
>>
>> On Mar 25, 2009, at 1:31 PM, kent williams wrote:
>>
>>> I don't have an opinion about whether ImageSpacing should be used
>>> in these
>>> filters.  I didn't even know what a
>>> MultiResolutionPyramidImageFilter was
>>> used for until this morning, when I read the comments in the header.
>>>
>>> So to summarize, Tom thinks neither filter should use ImageSpacing
>>> for
>>> smoothing. Currently the RecursiveMulti... filter does not, but the

blowekamp at mail.nih.gov