[Insight-developers] handling different sized inputs & outputs in a filter

kent williams norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
Mon Mar 16 17:40:19 EDT 2009

I'm getting confused by how exactly to deal with changing the
itk::WarpImageFilter to allow for output image size other than the
deformation field size.

The desired behavior -- I think would be this:

1. The input image can be any size and resolution.
2. The deformation field can be any size, but ideally should be at as large
in volume (3D) or area (2D) as the output volume/area.
3. The output volume can be any size and resolution. Points in the input
volume that warp outside the output volume are clipped, points in the output
volume outside the deformation field volume are set to background value.

In other words interpolators are used both to get the value out of the input
volume, and displacements from the deformation field, and the filter always
asks for a value at a physical point in both cases.

I thought I had this covered, but I'm getting this abort:

'itk::InvalidRequestedRegionError'
  what():  /scratch/kent/itktest/Insight/Code/Common/itkDataObject.cxx:397:
Requested region is (at least partially) outside the largest possible
region.

So I'm trying to figure out what I'm getting wrong. Any suggestions?