[Insight-developers] Questions about itk::ImageIOBase::IOPixelType and Reading/Writing

kent williams norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
Fri Mar 13 09:20:00 EDT 2009

The reason I ran into a problem with the IOPixelType is that I was checking
it in Read(), and changing behavior, without setting it in
ReadImageInformation().   Maybe to say what I meant more clearly:

When you write a file, the PixelType is set for you by itk::ImageFileWriter,
so that the concrete itk::ImageIO class can translate the type info into
whatever the image file format expects.  When you read a file, the ImageIO
has to set its own PixelType based on the file metadata; otherwise
itk::ImageFileReader doesn¹t know what to do with the pixel data.

It makes perfect sense, but in the nearly 1200 lines of itkNiftiImageIO.cxx
I didn¹t realize it wasn¹t happening. Most of the time it¹s moot because it
defaults to SCALAR, and most images have scalar pixel types.

As to the second question:  it¹s been at least 18 months since I wrestled
with streamed IO.  The short answer is Œnot super hard¹ -- niftilib has a
function to read subregions of an image, called, aptly enough
nifti_read_subregion_image.  The long answer is I¹ve mostly forgotten
everything I learned about making an ImageIO streamable, and would have to
re-learn how it¹s done, so it might take me a while.  If anyone else is an
expert on making ImageIO streamable, I can certainly help them out on the
NIfTI side ;-)