[Insight-developers] MultiScaleHessianBasedMeasureImageFilter in Review...

Karthik Krishnan karthik.krishnan at kitware.com
Thu Mar 12 11:20:41 EDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 6:41 AM, Kevin H. Hobbs <hobbsk at ohiou.edu> wrote:

> Luca Antiga wrote:
>

>> 2) agreed, feel free to switch to the Buffered region.
>>

> It's been a while since I looked at the paper and code,
> the filter did not stream at the time so I played with its constituent
> parts,
> I used ExtractImageFilter to force piece by piece updates,
> but I believe there are two problems that prevent this filter from
> streaming.
>
> 1. It uses IIR filters so every pixel in the image has some impact on the
> output.
>   FIR filters are slow for the large kernels associated with the larger
> sigmas.
>   This can be overcome with some small error by enlarging streamed pieces
> by a
>   sigma or two and using the IIR filters.

I've been using the DiscreteGaussianImageFunction, which implements the FIR
approximation using sums of weighted bessel functions. It also provides the
DiscreteHessianGaussianImageFunction. These allow streaming and we've been
using these to perform eigenanalysis on localized regions.

These are in Code/Review