[Insight-developers] ITK 4.0 & Backward Compatibility

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Mar 12 09:22:38 EDT 2009

Gaëtan Lehmann wrote:
>> If you're going to break backward compatibility, you need to REALLY
>> break it.   Change 100s of filters, rename things, and more.  You
>> don't do it slowly or subtly.   Let people know when things change -
>> don't leave it as a "surprise"  - and make it a infrequent thing so
>> the cost of the upgrade is born once by everyone - or people can
>> choose to instead keep using the old path without fear.
>

> I fully agree on this part :-)
> There are many things to fix in ITK, which can't be fixed (easily)
> without breaking backward compatibility, or adding more and more cmake
> options. At some point, we'll have to think about breaking
> compatibility, and my feeling is that it won't be in a far future.
>
> Maybe we should start a list on the wiki.
>
> Gaëtan

Gaetan,

I agree that we should gather the list of all the major issues in the
toolkit to have a base for planning what must be done for ITK 4.0.

We have already a Wiki page for the ITK 4.0 wish list:

          http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_Release_4.0

This could be a place for adding the major issues that you listed.

--

I suggest that we plan an online conference to discuss these issues.

Maybe during the summer (July/August) ?

It could have the format of 3 days with 4-hours sessions on each day.

We will simply have to find hours of the day that are convenient
for the majority of developer's time zones.