[Insight-developers] MultiScaleHessianBasedMeasureImageFilter in Review...

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohiou.edu
Thu Mar 12 06:41:25 EDT 2009

Luca Antiga wrote:

> 2) agreed, feel free to switch to the Buffered region.

It's been a while since I looked at the paper and code,
the filter did not stream at the time so I played with its constituent
parts,
I used ExtractImageFilter to force piece by piece updates,
but I believe there are two problems that prevent this filter from
streaming.

1. It uses IIR filters so every pixel in the image has some impact on
the output.
    FIR filters are slow for the large kernels associated with the
larger sigmas.
    This can be overcome with some small error by enlarging streamed
pieces by a
    sigma or two and using the IIR filters.

2. It normalizes the image for each scale before combining them.
    When streaming this results in each piece being scaled and the whole
image
    becomes blocks of very different intensities.