[Insight-developers] Rounding Test : Redux

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 20:08:51 EST 2009

Folks,

Recall the long discussion regarding rounding. Although we never came
to consensus, we do have a test that is failing on VS platforms.

itkVNLRoundProfileTest1.cxx fails on these platforms because
vnl_math_rnd does round-to-even while other platforms do
round-to-nearest. Regardless of what we decide, having a constantly
failing test is nbot a good practice. Since we know vnl_math_rnd is
not platform-independent, I propose removing the pass/fail portion of
this test. We should keep the test since it still provides useful
profiling info.

BTW: on gcc systems, rint() also does round-to-even by default. vxl
uses lround() which does round-to-nearest.

Comments?

Bill