[Insight-developers] ITK and gcc 4.4.0

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Jun 10 09:48:55 EDT 2009

Hi Arnaud,

Thanks for pointing this out.

The warning

*

/.../Insight/Utilities/gdcm/src/gdcmDocument.cxx:2182: warning:
dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules

*
 for the expression:

   char deb[256];
   uint16_t  s16;

   s16 = *((uint16_t *)(deb));

Indicates a real problem.

I believe, the correct way of performing this conversion
is by using a union {}.

We may have to rework some expressions to fix these
warnings.

Just out of curiosity:
Did you updated gcc as a package ?
or did you build it in your system ?