[Insight-developers] Large metaImage file with 32-bit build

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Thu Jan 15 11:14:05 EST 2009

Hello,

	I am also concerned about what you say about the recommended type
changing. In my 2001 edition of Stroustrup's "The C++ Programming
Language" in section 21.6.1 It shows that the definition of the seekg
and tellp utilize pos_type and off_type. I am not sure how long it
took to get these type to the compilers though. However, I would be
surprised if all of the compilers that are supported have this type
correctly.

This is likely a good case to use some CMake magic to check how this
type is defined in different compilers.

I am surprised that the MetaIO library does not have more typedef and
checks of this kind. Is there any reason for this?

Brad

On Jan 15, 2009, at 10:27 AM, Stephen Aylward wrote:

> Makes sense.
>
> Should be backward compatible.
>
> Is your suggested type available on all compilers and platforms?
> Note the comment regarding BCC.
>
> Funny thing - two years ago the right way to do this was to use
> size_t, and that is what tellp, etc returned.  I'm a bit concerned
> that old compilers and won't support your changes, so we may have to
> use a compiler-specific typedef.

> On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 5:33 PM, Bradley Lowekamp
> <blowekamp at mail.nih.gov> wrote:
>> Hi Stephen,
>> You seem to be the one closes to the meta utility library. I ran
>> into a
>> problem when I was trying to stream the visible human. I was doing
>> some out
>> of core processing on it :) The results were wrong, and looked like
>> there
>> was some 32-bit limitation related error. I was able to tack the
>> problem
>> down. I posted the problem and a suggested solution in Matis here:
>>
>> http://www.itk.org/Bug/view.php?id=8371
>> Overall the types used for files may need a closer look in the
>> library.
>> After your explanation of the immediate pervasiveness of this
>> library, I am
>> rather cautious of it. This look it may be some extensive changes
>> of types
>> needed. What is the best way to proceed here?
>> Thanks,
>> Brad

Bradley Lowekamp
Lockheed Martin Contractor for