[Insight-developers] GradientVectorFlowImageFilter internal image type

Karthik Krishnan karthik.krishnan at kitware.com
Sat Jan 10 10:20:32 EST 2009

Gaëtan Lehmann wrote:
>   template <class TInputImage, class TOutputImage, class
> TInternalPixel=double>
>   class ITK_EXPORT GradientVectorFlowImageFilter : public
> ImageToImageFilter<TInputImage, TOutputImage>
>
> There shouldn't be any backward compatibility issue that way. I don't
> know well that class though, so I have an important question:
> Does that change look reasonable? I mean, is it relevant to use a
> different internal pixel type than double - float for example?
I don't think it makes sense to use the class with any internal pixel
type other than float or double. Actually, the input images (and output
images) supplied should also be float/double. The filter internally
computes the laplacian image using the internal pixel type. Double
precision is also needed to account for the diffusion of the gradient
vectors.

I would just wrap the class for double and float alone.

thx
--
karthik