[Insight-developers] Doc updates for ImageIOBase

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 08:28:38 EST 2009

Steve,

I think making an empty implementation in ImageIOBase is appropriate.
Forcing developers to provide a method that is not required is bad
practice. Better documentation is always needed. Thanks for spending
the time on this.

As for the number of folks providing their own ImageIO's, I know that
when I was at GE, we had at least two of our own ImageIO's.  The
Slicer projects, www.slicer.org, has two, itkMRMLIDImageIO.h and
itkMGHImageIO.h. These are both discovered at run time.

A quick search on Google Code Search, http://www.google.com/codesearch
, shows that the Orfeo Toolbox,
http://sourceforge.net/projects/orfeo-toolbox/ , and
http://cvs.openmicroscopy.org.uk have implemented their own
ImageIO.Orfeo seems to have implemented at least 5 private ImageIO's.
Actually, one of the Orfeo IO's, otbONERAImageIO, implements a
non-trivial WriteImageInformation.

Worldwide, I suspect that the number is fairly significant.

Happy New Year,

Bill