[Insight-developers] Procedure for contributing new classes

Dan Mueller dan.muel at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 07:44:13 EST 2009

Hi Insight Developers,

I have a question regarding the procedure for contributing new classes
and algorithms to ITK.

Of late it seems there has been a number of additions directly to the
Code/Review/ folder, bypassing the procedure listed here:
    http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_Procedure_for_Contributing_New_Classes_and_Algorithms

(Perhaps my perception of the matter is wrong, in which case I'd be
happy to be corrected).

As a developer I can definitely see the advantages of directly
submitting code to Code/Review: it is so much faster and easier. I
have nearly a dozen little filters which I have been meaning to submit
to the IJ (local maxima, local minima, scale/shift, vector
shift/scale, cosine/hamming/lanczos/welch windowed since interpolate,
power image filter, joint histogram), but have unfortunately never
found the time. Other developers have found the time, yet these
filters seem to languish there, in some cases for years, eg.
    http://www.insight-journal.org/browse/publication/142

Despite the perceived ease of directly submitting to Code/Review,
obviously this diminishes the advantages listed here:
    http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_Procedure_for_Contributing_New_Classes_and_Algorithms#The_Rationale

My question: is there some way to strike a middle ground? Can
"trivial" filters can be added directly to Code/Review/ after passing
say a peer review via email, or something similar? Or perhaps there is
an existing procedure for adding "trivial" filters to Code/Reivew/
which I am unaware...?

Of course, I am willing to help out whenever I can. I intend to submit
more IJ reviews and act as a shepherd for papers (although for me the
3.0.12 release clashes with this year's MICCAI deadline).

Just my two cents.

Regards, Dan