[Insight-developers] Addressing Failures of ResampleImageFilter9Test

Tom Vercauteren tom.vercauteren at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 05:21:09 EDT 2009

Hi Bill,

Further testing seems to support the fact that this is not a sse2
rounding issue but rather a numerical precision one that cannot be
avoided.

To be more specific, in "real math" we should have
    0.4 + 6*0.35 == 2.5
with floating point arithmetic, on some systems, we might have
    0.4 + 6*0.35 == 2.5
whereas on others the same operation might lead to
    0.4 + 6*0.35 < 2.5

It appears that the test is failing because of exactly that. The
origin is 0.4 the spacing is 0.35, the first pixel that shows a
difference is the 6th one and further failing pixels are located every
20 pixels (note that 20*0.35=7 is the first integer value we can get).

I would vote for making the comparison less stringent. Thoughts?

Tom

P.S. The attached small test case illustrate the numerical precision
"issue" above and shows that this is apparently unrelated to sse2
rounding.