[Insight-developers] Failing test vnl_test_math

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 15:01:18 EDT 2009

Luis,

Looks like there is only 1 failing test left (at least today):
http://www.cdash.org/CDash/testDetails.php?test=20138903&build=313966

Notice that the output is truncated, so we can't see what part of the
test is failing. Actually, it is truncated even on systems where it
passes (e.g. http://www.cdash.org/CDash/testDetails.php?test=2017929&build=313981
)

Also, the same test on the vxl dashboard is also truncated, forthe
same reason I believe:
http://www.cdash.org/CDash/testDetails.php?test=16499304&build=313792

The test uses an internal macro, print_hex that attempts to print the
hex digits of inf, nan, etc. They can't be printed with std::hex since
they have special meaning and printing a inf just prints "inf". The
print_hex macro casts the output one digit at a time to unsigned char.
We know from ITK that this is not a good idea, and that the
"PrintType" should be something that is printable (e.g. unsigned int).

Someone (a vxl person) should look at this problem. As a temporary
measure we could disable the print_hex portion of the code so that we
can see where the SUN build is failing.

Interesting to note that the only failing test and only valgrind
defects are in the vxl code that we use.

Bill