[Insight-developers] Questions about fixing Matlab Transform reader

kent williams norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
Thu Apr 16 09:40:31 EDT 2009

This has to do with a class I wrote that is currently languishing in
Insight/Code/Review -- itkMatlabTransformIO.

We actually use that class in our program BRAINSFit --
http://www.nitrc.org/projects/multimodereg/

The problem is that it's based on vxl/core/vnl/vnl_matlab_read/write, and
those classes, while they make note of whether a file is bigendian or
littleendian, they don't bother with actually detecting and byte-swapping
files when needed.

So Hans gave me the task of fixing this.  Which raises a couple of questions

1. If I fix something in Insight's local copy of vxl, is someone in the ITK
group tracking VXL and contributing back fixes?  Who would I coordinate that
with?

2. VXL appears not to have it's own byteswapping code, so I'll probably have
to swipe ITK's byte swapper and include it in VXL. Or does someone have a
better idea?