[Insight-developers] reading 3D tiff (/dcm pair Mevis)

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Sep 23 09:26:43 EDT 2008

Hi Rashindra,

                  Thanks for volunteering !

Don't worry, you don't have to do all the TIFF update by yourself.

We will assist you in the process.

The first thing you should take a look at, is the process for
mangling the library symbols.

Please look at the file:

      Insight/Utilities/itktiff/itk_tiff_mangle.h

The mangling of symbols is necessary to make possible to combine
ITK with other libraries that also include TIFF as a third party
library (e.g. VTK). If we don't mangle the TIFF symbols, then
duplicate symbols will be found at link time.

Typically, you can simply start with the current list of mangled
symbols, and as we test builds of InsightApplications, the linker
will let us know of any symbols that may be missing.

We should also pay a lot of attention to the following files:

     * RELEASE-DATE
     * README
     * VERSION
     * COPYRIGHT**

particularly the last one  :-)

The best way to proceed is for you to setup an Experimental
build from your machine (whether it is Windows, Linux, or Mac),
and once you can submit regularly from it, then start updating
the TIFF library in your *local* build, without committing
any thing yet to the CVS repository.

It will be very helpful if you also have an Experimental build
of InsightApplications, with USE_VTK enabled, since in this way
you will be able to monitor the level of compliance in the symbol
mangling.

Once you get a stable build in your machine, let the other
developers know by posting email to the Developers mailing list.

At that point we can select a date for you to commit the new
version of the library, and in the days following that commit
we will help you get this to work in other platforms. Typically
we expect to find issues in Borland, 64bits architectures, and
SunOS.

Please let us know if you have any questions,

    Thanks

       Luis