[Insight-developers] GDCM 2.x [was CMake Flag to make itk::Image behave like itk::OrientedImage]

Karthik Krishnan karthik.krishnan at kitware.com
Mon Sep 15 11:06:20 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 3:34 AM, Mathieu Malaterre
<mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 3:40 AM, Karthik Krishnan
> <karthik.krishnan at kitware.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>> 6 options for use/not use of system files...
>>> ITK_USE_SYSTEM_GDCM:BOOL=OFF
>>>

>> We use ITK_USE_SYSTEM_GDCM in our internal projects. We build ITK so as to
>> use an external build of GDCM (a more recent version), since it has
>> significantly improved DICOM handling. I vote for retaining this.
>
> What exactly is the policy of those system libraries ? Does the same
> backward policy apply even on those system libraries ?

If I am not mistaken, I don't think the Backward compatibility policy
applies to any of the third party software in Insight/Utilities.

> Here is what I am planning to do : add support for the new GDCM 2.x
> architecture via the use of ITK_USE_SYSTEM_GDCM. A compiler #ifdef
> will determine the MAJOR version of GDCM and if GDCM 2.x is found, a
> different implementation will be used,

Out of curiosity, is that more of a pain than upgrading the GDCM in
ITK to 2.0.x ? If so, I wonder what the developers think about
upgrading the GDCM in ITK, since DICOM handling is pretty fundamental
for ITK.

Thanks
--
Karthik Krishnan