[Insight-developers] GetInverse is unusable -- patch attached

Pavel Koshevoy koshevoy at sci.utah.edu
Fri Oct 10 10:55:35 EDT 2008

Hi,

I've been patching ITK since version 1.8.1 to provide a usable
GetInverse API for transforms which don't have an analytic inverse, or
have an approximate inverse transform of a different type.

Requiring a patched ITK is a hurdle in the path of developers trying to
build my image registration apps.  I really, really hope you merge this
patch into the trunk.

It's a very small change.  Basically, I define an
InverseTransformPointer type and add virtual InverseTransformPointer
GetInverse() const method.  The patch implements this API for
itk::Transform, itk::IdentityTransform, itk::MatrixOffsetTransformBase,
itk::ScaleTransform, itk::TranslationTransform.

These are useful changes that make the ITK Transform classes far more
useful. In my image registration apps I implement this API in my
Legender Polynomial Transform, a Radial Basis Function Transform,
Triangle Mesh Transform, Radial Distortion Transform, Cascaded
Transform, and a generic Newtons Method Numeric Inverse Transform.

I really hope someone takes a look at this short patch and adds it to
the main ITK trunk.

Thank you,
    Pavel.