[Insight-developers] QuadEdgeMesh status

Dan Mueller dan.mueller at philips.com
Thu Mar 13 11:53:17 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I was hoping someone could give me an update on the development of
itkQuadEdgeMesh. (Alex?)

I have reviewed the following documents:
    http://www.itk.org/pipermail/insight-users/2005-November/015594.html
    http://www.itk.org/pipermail/insight-users/2006-August/019172.html
    http://insight-journal.org/midas/handle.php?handle=1926/306
    http://www.itk.org/Wiki/Proposals:New_Mesh_Class

After reading these documents I have gleaned the following (please correct
me if I am wrong):
  - the data structure is complete and can replace itk::Mesh in (most)
existing filters
  - the euler operations (built on top of Splice() and Rot() for modifying
the mesh) have been completed
  - mesh filters using the itkQE data structure are forthcoming

Some specific questions:
   - does itkVTKPolyDataReader/Writer work with itkQE?
   - how far off are the actual mesh filters (ie. smoothing, decimation,
remeshing, etc)?
   - does itkQE work with the deformable simplex mesh algorithms?
   - if not (work with deformable simplex mesh algorithms), what work
would need to be done?

Thanks for any advice (and thanks for the contribution!).

Regards, Dan Mueller