[Insight-developers] Anisotropic level sets tests

Luca Antiga luca.antiga at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 03:25:53 EST 2008

Hi Bill,
  last night I investigated the tests that give the largest differences,
ThresholdSegmentationLevelSetGrayMatterTest
and
ThresholdSegmentationLevelSetWhiteMatterTest
(the other tests fail for very minor interpolation differences, which
are expected since the fudge factor affected zero level-set
interpolation).

Considering ThresholdSegmentationLevelSetWhiteMatterTest, the "with
fudge factor" segmentation result is half the brain, and the "without
fudge
factor" is the whole brain.

Stopping condition for both tests was:
Max. no. iterations: 1200
Max. RMS error: 0.02

At the end of the run, these were the parameters:

With fudge factor:
No. elpased iterations: 403
RMS change: 0.0173078

Without fudge factor:
No. elpased iterations: 269
RMS change: 0.0181523

Therefore, turns out that the difference is the RMS change, which in the
"without fudge factor" case doesn't fall below 0.02 when half the
brain is
segmented, so level sets evolve until the whole brain is segmented.

While on one hand this explains the issue without much voodoo, I'm
worried that behavior of user code that relies on RMS changes as
stopping
condition will change with the new modification.

I don't know, but at this point keeping the fudge factor as an option
in SparseFieldLevelSetImageFilter is probably a safer bet.

Best

Luca