[Insight-developers] DICOM 0008:0008

David Clunie dclunie at dclunie.com
Sat Apr 19 08:23:42 EDT 2008

Hi Mathieu

Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 2:22 PM, Miller, James V (GE, Research)
> <millerjv at crd.ge.com> wrote:
>>

>> The DICOM Image Type (0008:0008) is usually something like:
>> ORIGINAL\PRIMARY\AXIAL when DICOM files are coming off a scanner.  ITK
>> generated files have the Image Type as DERIVED\PRIMARY.  Should the Image
>> Type be DERIVED\PRIMARY\AXIAL when appropriate?
>
> Hi Jim,
>
>   I am guessing you are talking about a CT Image Storage DICOM object, right ?
>   AFAIK Value #3 of Image Type is optional, so it should not be needed
> (only the first 2 are required).

Image Type (0008,0008) Value 3 is not optional for CT images - it is Type 1;
see PS 3.3 C.8.2.1.1.1.

So if you discard or do not replace value 3, your result will be non-compliant.

This error should be detected if you run a validator (like my dciodvfy) on
the output, which should be a routine step for anyone writing DICOM files.

Note also that AXIAL does not mean "transverse", it means any cross-sectional
image, and specifically "not a localizer", so always specifying AXIAL when
the source was AXIAL should be quite safe.

David