[Insight-developers] DICOM 0008:0008

kent williams norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
Wed Apr 9 09:56:10 EDT 2008

ITK bases orientation on the direction cosines, which would make this flag
irrelevant with respect to orientation.   It might be useful to know the
original scan direction, but that would require all scanners to set this
flag with an accurate value. I have little confidence in that being the
case.

I would also assume almost all applications with ITK would start with images
of known provenance, if something like the original scan direction was a
crucial datum. It's not the roadside is littered with MRI scans, that
applications have to approach like a detective to infer where they came from
and how they were produced.