[Insight-developers] ConceptCheck & Wrapping : ITK 3.4 Update

Peter Cech pcech at vision.ee.ethz.ch
Fri Sep 21 07:39:13 EDT 2007

On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 22:15:16 -0500, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 07:00:55PM -0400, Luis Ibanez wrote:
>
> > This is a temporary compromise that will allow us to
> > expand the use of concept checking without breaking
> > backward compatibility.
>
> This sounds like a good idea ... does it have to be temporary?
> Couldn't the new cmake variable be expanded to encompass all
> non-backward compatible concept checks?  For example:
> http://www.itk.org/mailman/private/insight-developers/2007-August/009401.html

Turning off whole class of constructs on compile time works for backward
compatibility, but if you develop new code in parallel, concept check at
right place might save you a lot of time (been there). What about
version-targeted backward compatibility instead?

What I mean is enabling backward-compatible or backward-incompatible fix
depending on user choice. For the current situation it would look like:

- If ITK_3_2_COMPATIBILITY <= VERSION(3,2), a backward compatible bugfix
  (runtime error reporting) is enabled.

- If ITK_3_2_COMPATIBILITY > VERSION(3,2), a backward incompatible
  bugfix (concept check) is enabled.

What do you think about it?

Regards,
Peter