[Insight-developers] ITK test failures in Debug only

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Thu Sep 13 12:47:37 EDT 2007

On 9/13/07 11:56 AM, Luis Ibanez said:

>Fixing this one is going to be *a lot* of fun.

Yup! :(  Thank god it's happening in Debug.

>I'm wondering if the failures in "mini2"
>http://www.itk.org/Testing/Sites/mini2/Darwin-Xcode2.2.1-dbg/
>20070913-0100-Nightly/Test.html
>are due to the same phenomenon.

How many CPUs/cores does that machine have?  If you ssh to it, you can
run the 'system_profiler' command to determine this.

>    Is this a something that started failing recently in your build ?
>    or do we have reasons to believe that it has never worked ?

We've never had an ITK Debug dashboard before.  We created it for MINC2
testing and chose Debug only because our other one is Release.

However, Frank's dashboard (4 core Mac Pro) has been failing for
months.  Oldest I can find is:
<http://www.itk.org/Testing/Sites/SINTEF.LabMAC.OSX/
ITKcvs_CMake246_gcc401/20070309-0100-Nightly/Test.html>

>    Does your same machine builds VTK ?
>    if so, do you see any similar errors in VTK ?

Yes; No.

>    The reason why I'm asking is because the ITK Multithreader
>    descends from the VTK one.
>
>    The started with the same genes, but have evolved in different
>    ecological niches.
>
>    A gvmdiff comparisson of both brings interesting "__APPLE__"
>    genes that only the ITK MultiThreader has acquired.
>    E.g. Lines 123-134.

I've actually changed that one Apple-only part... It is the same in VTK
and ITK.  It's pretty harmless, it just determines how many cores/CPUs
there are and uses that as the default # of threads to create.

I'm no threading expert, but I did give itkMultiTheader.cxx a quick
lookover.  It is weak on error checking.  All the pthread_... APIs
return error codes, but the code almost never checks them.

>If it is not too much to ask, I'll be interested in seeing if
>a build of ITK 3.2 in your system brings up these same errors.
>If they do not appear, at least we will have framed the problem
>in a 6-months window.

Mathieu is trying now...

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com