[Insight-developers] Raw file reader

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Oct 2 11:05:18 EDT 2007

Hi Benoit,

The easiest way to read a raw file into ITK is to write a MetaImage
header for it.

You will find instructions on how to write a MetaImage header in
the "Data" page at itk.org:

       http://www.itk.org/HTML/Data.htm

Look close to the bottom of the page at the section:

     "Writing a MetaImage header for raw data"

Once you create the MetaImage header, you can simply use the
ImageFileReader, and the ITK ImageIO factories will take care
of the rest.

Depending on your platform (GNU/Linux, Windows, or Mac)
and depending on the physical amount of RAM in your machine
you may or many not be able to load this input image.

The good news is that recently the Streaming capabilities
of the ImageIO classes have been improved, so, if you can't
load the image in a single block, you should be able to
request subregions of the image and to subsample them by
blocks.

     Regards,

        Luis