[Insight-developers] itkObjectFactoryBase.cxx

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 14:54:21 EST 2007

Luis,

You may have noticed that I have been working to get itkObjectFactoryBase so
that is can handle class overrides. It turns out, that as far as I can tell,
this capability never worked. Now, the factories can be created at run time
or loaded from a shared library. In the process, I cleaned up the
ObjectFactory destruction code that was crashing on some platforms during
exit. Additionally, on the MAC, shared libraries could not be loaded. Oh,
and also, the parsing of the load path was incorrect if more than one
directory was in the path.

Currently the tests I added are passing on all platforms that are compiled
with shared libraries. The mixing of static and shared libs is not portable
across all platforms as far as I can tell, so those platforms that build
static do not run the ObjectFactoryTest2.cxx code that loads factories at
run time.

These fixes are important to Slicer3 and we should place them in the
itk 3.4branch that slicer3 will use in it's first non-beta release.

I will make a bug tracker entry for this in the next couple of days.

Bill