[Insight-developers] Multi-threading strategies

Blezek, Daniel J (GE, Research) blezek at crd.ge.com
Fri Jul 27 13:53:43 EDT 2007

Hi all,

  I was debugging a multi-threaded registration metric today, and gdb
nicely prints thread creation/destruction messages.  In our current
MultiThreader, pthreads are created/joined in the scatter/gather
pattern.  For a general filter, this isn't likely to be a problem,
'cause it executes only once (in general).  For optimization metrics, it
may be called thousands of times, leading to a huge number of pthreads
created/joined.  Is this efficient?  Would it be worth while to
investigate keeping threads around, rather than joining them?  They
could simply sit idle until they have something to do...  This would
reduce overhead, but may add complexity, but we only need to get it
right once...

  Stephen Aylward: any comments?

-dan

Daniel Blezek, PhD