[Insight-developers] RE: netlib changes are breaking builds

Gaëtan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Thu Sep 28 03:32:00 EDT 2006

Le Thu, 28 Sep 2006 00:35:55 +0200, Steve Robbins <smr at sumost.ca> a écrit:

> Quoting Gaëtan Lehmann <gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr>:
>
>> To make something easily usable, we can:
>> (1) include the FFTW files in the tests only if USE_FFTWF or USE_FFTWD
>> are defined, and remove the if blocks elsewhere
>> (2) move the FFTW files, and all the files which are using them, to
>> insight application
>> (3) include fftw in ITK
>>
>> (1) is the simplest way to go. (3) should be useful if more filters are
>> using the FFTW ones.
>
> If I may interject, wearing my Debian-packager hat: if at all possible,
> please avoid (3).  When the vendor already ships fftw (as I expect all
> linux vendors do), you're exposing the ITK user to (a) duplication, and
> (b) version-skew problems if they naively link an ITK project with FFTW
> as well.
>
> By all means, provide easy-to-use bundles for those who are building
> from source, perhaps including fftw.  But please keep the core ITK
> distribution free of bits easily available elsewhere.

Let me reply with my mandriva packager hat :-)
ITK already contains some useful libraries - png, tif, vxl, zlib... but we
can choose to use the system ones rather than the ones shipped with ITK,
so there is no problem :-)
The only difference is that the users who using ITK on windows or other
system whith no packages can make ITK work easily.

The main concerns for (3) are:
- it put more code to maintain in ITK - fftw is evolving slowly so it
doesn't seem to be a real problem
- there can be a license incompatibility

Gaetan

--
Gaëtan Lehmann
INRA de Jouy-en-Josas (France)