[Insight-developers] API Change breaks backward compatibility

Bill Lorensen wlorens1 at nycap.rr.com
Tue Sep 5 19:36:43 EDT 2006

Kent,

The problem is, we do not know who in the world is using ITK_Orientation.
It is very frustrating for someone somewhere in the world to update to a
new ITK release and have their code not compile. The person who wrote the
original code may be long gone.

We had this problem with VTK.  For example in GE, I cannot convince
internal GE folks to use VTK since its API changes so frequently without
regard to backward compatibility. I know at times a change must be made,
but such a change must be justified and can only occur after all attempts
at maintaining backward compatibility have failed.

We are fortunate that SNAP used this API and we caught it before a release.

Bill