[Insight-developers] ITK 3.0 : FREEZING CVS : Starting Friday Oct 27th : Copyright Issues :

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Oct 30 09:32:18 EST 2006

Hi Steve,

I'm tracking on the history of the file:

       Insight/Code/Numerics/FEM/dsrc2c.c

This file was originally distributed along with VXL
(up to ITK release 2.8) in the directory:

       Insight/Utilities/vxl/v3p/netlib/dsrc2c.c
       Insight/Utilities/vxl/v3p/netlib/dsrc2c.f

The file was removed from VXL on July 17 2006, as part of the
conversion that Brad did for making vxl thread safe.

When it was realized that the file was needed in ITK, and it
was not available anymore in VXL, the file was added directly
to the ITK repository, at the current location:

       Insight/Code/Numerics/FEM/dsrc2c.c

This was done on July 25 2006.

You are right on the file being copyrigthed by IMSL, INC,
and lacking a description of a license that allows its
distribution.

The original file is at:

     http://www.netlib.org/itpack/dsrc2c.f

and also lacks any license information there...
both the file, and so it goes for the entire
directory.

Googling for IMSL Inc. I got to Visual Numerics:

     http://www.vni.com/products/imsl/

I just send email to Visual Numerics' Technical support,
but it may take a while before they respond.

Plus considering that IMSL is actually a commercial product,
I'm guessing that our best course of action is to remove
this files from ITK and to deprecate the ITK classes that
use it. We will be doing this as part of the release.

It is a bit drastic, from the point of view of backward
compatibiliity, but our BCP policy cannot ignore the
copyright laws.

     Regards,

       Luis