[Insight-developers] GDCM update / JPEG2000 (OpenJPEG)

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com
Tue Jan 17 13:28:58 EST 2006

Hello,

	I have a minor technical issue. Currently GDCM uses the (patched)jpeg
from the Utilities directory to be able to decompress JPEG lossy and
lossless file. I was asked to update gdcm 1.0 to gdcm 1.2. In gdcm 1.2
we have added support for JPEG2000 encoded file. This is for now very
rare IMHO. So my question is:

- Do I add support for JPEG2000 in ITK, knowing that it will add a new
library to ITK (~373k line of code). Code for the library can be found
at http://www.openjpeg.org (*)

- If yes, do I make it an available library just like png or tiff, or do
I keep it encapsulated into GDCM ?

- If not I can still update to gdcm 1.2 which will still add a lot of
new features lacking in gdcm 1.0. I'll simply change the cmakelists.txt
to not include JPEG2000 code.

Comments welcome,
Mathieu
(*) At some point during the development process jasper was considered
and used in GDCM to decompress JPEG2000 DICOM image. But due to a major
decompression problem for 16bits lossless image the support was
discontinued in favor of the lighter openjpeg implementation from
Communications and Remote Sensing Lab (TELE).