[Insight-developers] COPYRIGHTS / BACKWARD COMPATABILITY / RELEASE ITK 2.6 / New Candidate Directory

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Feb 20 16:19:04 EST 2006

I agree with Jim,

The code in this directory shouldn't stay there for
more than one release iteration. (e.g. 90 days).

We will make the compilation of this directory to
be off by default in the CMake configuration, just
like we do with the "Patented" directories.

We will also add warnings notes regarding the exclusion
of this directory from the Backward compatibility and
Copyright policies.

Now we just need to agree in a directory name...

        [ How hard can that be ?    :-)   ]

Here are some suggested candidates for the name
(in no particular order):

       1) Insight/Code/Incoming
       2) Insight/Code/Tentative
       3) Insight/Code/Transition
       4) Insight/Code/InsightJournal
       5) Insight/Code/Incubator
       6) Insight/Code/Incubation
       7) Insight/Code/Nursery
       8) Insight/Code/Board
       9) Insight/Code/Quarantine
      10) Insight/Code/Evolving
      11) Insight/Code/Sandbox
      12) Insight/Code/IncomingContributions
      13) Insight/Code/Trenches
      14) Insight/Code/Oven
      15) Insight/Code/Candidate
      16) Insight/Code/Beta
      17) Insight/Code/OnDeck
      18) Insight/Code/FeshMeat
      19) Insight/Code/Tentative
      20) Insight/Code/Preliminary

Any preferences, or other suggestions ?

    Thanks

Miller, James V (GE, Research) wrote:

 > Just to add to the discussion....
 >
 > The original idea was that items could only spend 1 release in the
on-deck
 > circle.  After that period, the code would either have to move into ITK
 > proper or out of the repository.
 >
 > What we don't want to promote is prolonge use of code that is not
truly "blessed".

 > Jim

and it would have to be specifically turned-on to use.   Perhaps even a
pop-up could be used to warn about licensing and API changes....

 > I actually really like this idea....more than a contrib directory it
is a candidate directory or a beta directory...