[Insight-developers] Change checked into Insight/Utilities/gdcm/src/gdcmUtil.cxx

Kent Williams kent at psychiatry.uiowa.edu
Mon Feb 13 13:52:40 EST 2006

We had tests failing on SGIs because the gdcm library couldn't seem to
configure in a way to get the MAC Address on that platform.  My solution
to the problem is a little hokey -- the only way I could find to get the
MAC Address on an SGI is to run an external program. But it does work,
and should work for all Irix 6.x machines.

If anyone else has a more efficient way to get the MAC Address with Irix
feel free to correct my code.  Given that A) SGI is an exotic,
close-to-being-deprecated target for ITK and B) The code to find the MAC
Address is called once to set the value of a GDCM global variable, so
efficiency isn't probably a concern -- I doubt anyone will want to put a
lot more time into this.

Even the failure path is soft -- the worst thing that could happen is
DICOM files will use all zeros for the MAC address when it fingerprints
files.