[Insight-developers] PermuteAxesImageFilter and origin

Peter Cech pcech at vision.ee.ethz.ch
Thu Dec 14 11:54:15 EST 2006

Hello,

this is the second part of problems discovered via OrientImageFilter,
namely PermuteAxesImageFilter and premutation of origin.

In my opinion, axes permutation should not permute origin point of
the volume, i.e. a volume in a shape of cube should stay at the same
place (in physical coordinates) after axes permutation.

The permute-the-origin behavior seems to be a relic from early days of
ITK when itkOrientedImage did not exist and itkImage was built with
assumption that reference frame of an image is identical to reference
frame of physical coordinates. But if we suddenly change this behavior,
it will surely break someone's application.

Does anybody has an idea how to solve this nicely?

Peter