[Insight-developers] Explicit Instantiation Proposal

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed Apr 26 13:49:56 EDT 2006

Miller, James V (GE, Research) wrote:
> I like the fact that every template does not need be instantiated explictly.
>
> We could stop the instantiations at the concrete filter level if we wanted.

That is probably a reasonable choice.

> However, I am sure that after the first pass of putting in explicit instantiation,
> there will be other instantiations that we'll want to add and some are going to
> require new macros.  The simpler we can make the macro writing the more likely
> we'll survive the hit by the bus test.

FYI, Julien was able to write a new macro and create instantiations with
no help from me and less documentation than is now available.  We don't
even live in the same state so it is unlikely a bus will kill both of us :)

Take a look at the new tutorial on writing instantiation macros on that
wiki page.  Hopefully that will help folks write these things.

-Brad