[Insight-developers] Explicit Instantiation Proposal

Kris Thielemans kris.thielemans at csc.mrc.ac.uk
Wed Apr 26 05:25:06 EDT 2006

Hi all

I'm just wondering if this isn't a lot of effort that will become obsolete
once the 'export' keyword is more widely available. In any case, you should
make sure that the macros are export-compatible. See also (very briefly)
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/templates.html#faq-35.14

I'm not sure which c++ compilers implement export though.

comeau-c++  does
http://www.comeaucomputing.com/4.0/docs/userman/export.html

Intel 9.0 for Linux (but not windows) apparently does
http://support.intel.com/support/performancetools/c/sb/CS-015003.htm

And I guess other EDG-based compilers might do (depending on the version of
EDG they use).

Finally, gcc has some switches (including -frepo) relevant to this topic
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.1.0/gcc/Template-Instantiation.html#Temp
late-Instantiation
but this seems horrible to me for ITK. I don't know of any 'export' plans
for gcc. I've just asked a question on the gcc mailing list
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2006-04/

I hope this helps

Kris Thielemans
Hammersmith Imanet, part of GE Healthcare
London W12 ONN, United Kingdom