[Insight-developers] Question regardingitk::SymmetricDemonsForceRegistrationFunction::ComputeUpdate()

Torsten Rohlfing torsten at synapse.sri.com
Fri May 6 11:37:09 EDT 2005

Jim:

Thanks for the explanation. I can almost see your point, except that I
disagree with this statement:

>The symmetric case calculates the SumOfSquaredDifference as the
>difference between the fixed and moving image using the deformation
>field calculated by the CURRENT iteration, i.e. the SumOfSquaredDifferences
>AFTER the new update field is calculate.
>
>So, the SumOfSquaredDifference in the non-symmetric case is the alignment
>error at the beginning of an iteration, whereas for the symmetric case, it is
>the alignment error at the end of an iteration.

As I mentioned earlier, the registration function does not actually know
(or have control over) how much of the computed update is actually
applied (see time step parameter "dt" to ApplyUpdate), and whether the
update or the resulting deformation field is smoothed. So what I've been
seeing here when I played around with things was that the symmetric
force actually produced oscillating values, even though the actual
metric was actually decreasing monotonically. That's because the
registration function in general applies too aggressive an update
internally, so it overshoots.

Again, thanks for your comments!
  Torsten