[Insight-developers] Suggestion: Tensors and Tensor Image Filters

Torsten Rohlfing torsten at synapse.sri.com
Mon Jan 31 17:26:26 EST 2005

Greetings!

It appears that there is not much functionality in ITK currently for
processing (MR diffusion) tensor data. I am therefore currently in the
process of writing such components myself.

Since I am planning to contribute the resulting code to ITK (if there is
interest), I wanted to ask for comments on some design decisions before
getting too far into the endeavour. Of course I would also be very
interest to hear whether this work has been done already (or is in
progress somewhere) and my efforts are, therefore, futile.

Most fundamentally in terms of design, I am unsure whether the basic
tensor processing operations (e.g., eigenvalues, eigenvectors,
potentially common anisotropy measures) should be implemented entirely
in image filter classes for tensor images (similar to the vector
gradient magnitude filters for example). It seems to me that a separate
tensor class would make sense to provide access to basic functions such
as eigensystem decomposition, which is useful for many tensor
operations, whereas the anisotropy measures for example should probably
go into filter classes.

Also, can anyone think of a reason why the tensor dimension (i.e., the
tensor matrix size) should be a template parameter (as opposed to fixed
3x3)? My current state of mind is that tensor image dimensions should
definitely be templated to allow processing of 2D slices, whereas the
tensors themselves really don't seem to make much sense in anything
other than 3D.

Looking foward to comments and suggestions.

Best,
  Torsten