[Insight-developers] Patented code

Jay Udupa jay at mipg.upenn.edu
Thu Sep 30 12:11:46 EDT 2004

Steve:

I presume you addressed the question to me, and I am not sure if the
question was relating to ASM/AAM or FC or both.

I think I did send a copy of the letter for ASM/AAM while the grant
proposal was submitted, in any case, before the contract was granted. I
have the original letter I secured from Tim Cootes. It says that there
is no patent on the core AAM algorithms but they hold "patents
concerning related work on separating different types of variation (e.g;
expression vs identity for faces) and on the use of the AAM with certain
non-linear features rather than the raw intensity models".

As for fuzzy connectedness, both the simple version of it submitted by
Celina et al. and the advanced version (scale-based, relative,
iterative, etc.) submitted by us from Penn are protected. I don't think
that Celina secured a letter of permission from me nor did I submit a
letter of permission in this connection.

Jay
____