[Insight-developers] ImageIO image orientations

Vincent A. Magnotta vincent-magnotta at uiowa.edu
Thu Jul 29 11:40:35 EDT 2004

Jim and Bill,

It had always been my understanding that ImageOI should occur as Jim
described:

'As it currently stands, all the ImageIO objects (seem to) make the
image in memory mirror the order of the image on disk and make the image
on disk mirror the order of the image in memory.  In other words, the
first pixel in the ITK image will be whatever the first pixel is in the
image format (which may be the upper left or the lower left).'

and it was up to the user to handle the orientation issues.

There may be an additional complexity with Analyze images (maybe others)
where some default orientation must be used if one is not specified. For
example if a load an coronal image and then write out the image it will
be an axial image according to the analyze header. We did spend some
time to add the MetaDataDictionary to the Analyze format and added the
itkOrientImageFilter to handle some of these issues. Another solution
would be to add the the MetaDataDictionary to other ImageIO formats and
let the programmer handle the orientation using the orientation filter.

Vince