[Insight-developers] Deadline for Special issue of MedIA on ITK Seotember 15.

Dimitris Metaxas dnm at cs . rutgers . edu
Tue, 09 Sep 2003 12:11:13 -0400

Per Luis question
we have just modified  the CFP after comunicating and getting the ok
from Nicholas Ayache and Jim Duncan
which reflects that it is best that you send us the paper as pdf. NO
PAPER COPY REQUIRED
since this will help us in getting  the reviews faster.

Here is the revised call for proposals.

Thanks

Dimitris and Terry

                           CALL FOR PAPERS
           Special Issue of Medical Image Analysis (MedIA) on
        on Segmentation and Registration using ITK, October 2004

                              Published by
                            Elsevier Science

                             Call For Papers
            Submission Deadline For Full Papers, September 15, 2003

                            Guest Editors
                    Dimitris Metaxas, Rutgers University
                Terry S. Yoo, National Library of Medicine, NIH

A special issue of the Medical Image Analysis (MedIA) journal will
be devoted to the topic of segmentation and registration algorithm
development and analysis using the Insight Toolkit (ITK).   This
project launched by the National Library of Medicine, NIH in 1999,
has fostered growing interest in the software development
community, and it is beginning to affect new work in image analysis as
well as medical application design.  Its position as an open-source
project creates a powerful vehicle for publishing and archiving working
methods as well as enabling rapid development of new applications
using emerging advanced algorithms.

Since ITK began as a collection of existing algorithms and methods
from the medical image processing community, this special issue
will focus on projects and novel work that add value or derive value
from the toolkit:  applications and  techniques that use ITK, evaluation,
verification, and validation of algorithms and methods through the
available open source software, and new methods, as they emerge, that
are distributed through the toolkit.  We are seeking papers covering  all
aspects  of  the  analysis process,  emphasizing techniques in
segmentation and registration of 3D and higher dimensional medical
data.  This call includes papers  on  visualization,  analysis,
perception,  and  interaction  issues.

The special issue will be accompanied by a CD-ROM, so images, source
code, example data, statistical evaluation tools, and test metrics are
strongly encouraged to accompany published materials.  If a manuscript
is accepted, the author(s) are required to submit source code, test
data, and software tools for evaluating the results, repeating the
work from the text.

Example topics include but are not limited to:

   o  Emerging (New) object segmentation tools
   o  Multimodal registration methods
   o  Level set applications and algorithms
   o  Ground truth generation and  evaluation for algorithm validation
   o  Fuzzy and statistical methods for deformable segmentation
   o  Rigid and deformable registration
   o  Tools for Medical Visualization using ITK
           automated tools, interactive tools, mathematical tools
   o  Evaluation metrics for segmentation and registration methods
   o  Application Examples and Case Studies
           medical applications ITK
           validation trials using ITK

The special issue will consist of peer-reviewed original contributions
and peer-reviewed invited contributions of an explanatory/review type.
We expect to have a fast reviewing process and publish the special issue
less than one year after the deadline for submitting papers (see below).
Manuscripts that are commercial in nature will not be considered.
Manuscripts  are reviewed  and  refereed.  Those  accepted   for
publication are edited for conformance to the journal's style. We
encourage the use of color when required.

For additional information on submissions  and manuscript  styles
please check the web site at http://www . elsevier . nl/locate/medima/
If you have any additional questions, don't hesitate to contact
either of the guest editors.

To be a reviewer for this special issue please contact Dimitris
Metaxas by e-mail with a list of topic areas you would be interested
in reviewing.

GUEST EDITORS

Dimitris Metaxas
Center for Computational Bioimedicine, Imagfing and Modeling
Division of Computer and Information Sciences and Dept of Biomedical Eng.
Rutgers University
110 Frelinghuysen Rd.
Piscataway, NJ  08817   USA
email - dnm at cs . rutgers . edu

Terry S. Yoo
National Library of Medicine
National Institutes of Health
8600 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, MD  20894  USA
email - yoo at nlm . nih . gov

Prospective authors should follow the regular guidelines of the
Medical Image Analysis (MedIA) and submit the paper by e-mail in a .pdf format
to Pr. Dimitris Metaxas, with an electronic accompanying letter.

The deadline for submission is September 15, 2003.  It is planned that
the special issue will appear in the last quarter of the year 2004.