[Insight-developers] CannySegmentationLevelSetImageFilter

Miller, James V (Research) millerjv at crd . ge . com
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 08:27:15 -0500

Hey Josh,

I think Bill is saying it is not setting a mode since it actually changes
the coefficients.  It is impossible to query the filter and determine
whether someone called ReverseExpansionDirection since the caller would have
to know whether the coefficients were initially positive or negative.

A safer way to do this is to have a ivar that keeps track of whether someone
wants the expansion direction reversed and keep the coefficients the
original values.  Then when the coefficients get used, you multiply by -1 if
neccessary.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Joshua Cates [mailto:cates at sci . utah . edu]
Sent: Friday, November 21, 2003 5:41 PM
To: Bill Lorensen
Cc: Miller, James V (Research); Insight-developers (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [Insight-developers] CannySegmentationLevelSetImageFilter

Yes I agree the best thing is always more documentation.

Note that as implemented in the SegmentationLevelSetImageFilter class, the
ReverseExpansionDirection does in fact set a mode flag.  So you can call
ReverseExp...On to enable and ReverseExp..Off to disable.  It's a
convenience function that flips the signs of the coefficients before
execution (through a call to
SegmentationLevelSetFunction::ReverseExpansionDirection, hence the
confusion).

 Josh.

 Josh Cates
 Scientific Computing and Imaging Institute
 University of Utah
 Email: cates at sci . utah . edu
 Phone: (801) 587-7697