[Insight-developers] Inverse transforms

Miller, James V (Research) millerjv at crd . ge . com
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 09:56:53 -0500

How much of the decision of the inverse mapping is driven by the
the simplicity of metrics in the inverse mapping case?

Your metric is now:

Sum{over all p in the fixed image region} ( F(p) - M(T(p)) )^2

If the transform is changed to go from moving to fixed, the operand
of the metric is not that different

	(F(Tm2f(q)) - M(q))^2

however, you need iterate over an non-rectangular region to compute the
metric. This sounds difficult and slow.

It sounds like this is an engineering decision to make the registration
metrics pratical.  If so, then we just need to be very clear in the
documentation as to that the output transformation does.

We should also provide a resample filter that will resample a moving image
to the fixed image coordinate system for display of the final results and
for transfering information from the moving image to the fixed image
coordinate frame.  For simple transforms, this will call the
ResampleImageFilter passing in the inverse of the registration transform.
For more complicated transforms, it will have to an incremental search to
establish the inverse mapping.

Jim