[Insight-developers] Octree representation

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Thu, 15 May 2003 14:45:59 -0400

Hi Mark,

There is an historic reason.

Originally in VNL, the vnl_fixed_vector derived from vnl_vector.
So, it was fixed size but had the overhead of an integer for counting
components and a pointer to the memory allocated for the components.
This extra 8 bytes were undesirable in classes deriving from the
FixedArray like the itk::Point, itk::Vector,itk::CovariantVector and
the itk::RGBPixel.

The most recent version of VNL (in ITK) does not have this overhead.
vnl_vector_fixed do not derive from vnl_vector anymore. So, in principle
now we could derive from it.   However, I don't see any advantage in
doing so, now that the Fixed array is fully implemented in ITK style.

Luis